The Debt Management Office (DMO) of Nigeria, on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria, has launched a new retail investment programme – the “Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) Savings Bond” – to help enhance the savings culture among Nigerians while providing all citizens irrespective of income level, an opportunity to contribute to National Development; as well as the comparatively favourable returns available in the capital market. FGN Savings Bond is safe and backed by the full faith and credit of the Federal Government of Nigeria, with quarterly coupon payments to bondholders.
- Minimum subscription of N5,000 with additions in multiple of N1,000; subject to a maximum of N50 million.
- Fixed coupon will be paid quarterly to investors.
- Bond tenors will range from 2 – 3 years’ tenor.
- It will be issued on a Monthly Basis through an Offer for Subscription.
- Monthly offer will be open for 5 days from the date of announcement.
- The coupon/interest income from the Savings Bond are tax-free.
- The bondholder enjoys coupon/interest on a quarterly basis which is paid directly to his/her bank account
- It makes it possible for individuals to plan and save towards personal projects.
- FGN Savings Bonds are liquid as Secondary Market trading will be on the trading platform of the Nigerian Exchange Limited (NGX)
- The FGN Savings Bond is acceptable as collateral for loans.
- It offers guaranteed returns, and encourages financial inclusion.
Investors are to subscribe through Trading License Holders of NGX accredited by the DMO to act as Distribution Agents.