This course offers a comprehensive introduction about and tests candidate’s knowledge in international financial markets with a global perspective on a range of popular investment products such as equities, bonds, derivatives and investment funds. It helps to prepare you to take CISI (Chartered Institute for Securities and Investments) foundation professional examination International Introduction to Securities and Investment which can lead to higher qualifying level courses such as Certificate in Corporate Finance, International Certificate in Wealth and Investment Management, Risk in Financial Management, etc.
- Know the role of the various participants and schemes within the financial services sector
- Know the function of and differences between retail and professional business and who the main customers are in each case
- Understand the investment distribution channels
- Learn about the emerging themes: Fintech, ESG, etc.
- Understand the factors that determine the level of economic activities: state-controlled economies, market economies, mixed economies, open economies
- Know the function of central banks
- Know how goods and services are paid for and how credit is created
- Understand the impact of inflation/deflation on economic behavior
- Know the characteristics of fixed-term and instant access deposit accounts and the advantages and disadvantages of investing in cash
- Develop an understanding of the difference between a capital market instrument and a money
- market instrument
- Learn the potential advantages and disadvantages of investing in property, as well as the characteristics of property investments
- Understand the basic structure of the foreign exchange market and how to calculate a forward exchange rate
- Develop key knowledge on equities such as the features of ordinary and preference shares, calculate the shared dividend yield,
- Understand the roles, functions, and main global stock exchanges
- Learn the characteristics and terminology of bonds
- Know the definitions and features of various type of bonds
- Understand derivatives terminologies, uses, and functions.
- Develop knowledge of investment funds, their characteristics and other related features
- Learn the key aims and activities of financial service regulators
- Understand the need for regulation and authorisation of firms
- Know the different stages of money laundering
- Know the difference between the quoted interest rate on borrowing and the effective annual rate of borrowing
- Learn the offences that constitute insider trading and the instruments
- Understand the basic principles of life assurance and the definition of different life policies
This qualification is intended for new entrants who are beginning their career in the financial services industry. It is also suited to new or experienced investors with an interest in acquiring a more detailed understanding of investment products and financial markets. The programme covers key financial principles and products including assets and markets, equities, bonds, derivatives, investment funds, retirement planning, loans, mortgages, life assurance and protection insurance.