This is an introductory programme to Islamic banking and finance philosophy and offers an overview of the financial services industry. Participants will be introduced to Islamic economics and will be provided with details on the basic economic principles underlying Islamic economics.
This course covers the key Islamic banking and finance principles and concepts, including Islamic economics and its worldview, infrastructure and history, Islamic business ethics, and Shariah and Fiqh principles. You will learn about the Corporate Governance and Risk Management structures that guide Islamic Finance, and you will gain the knowledge relevant to building your career and personal interests.
- know the basic economic principles underlying Islamic economics and how they are implemented
- understand the notion of interest in other religions and eras
- understand the key evolution of the Islamic economy
- know the role of conventional financial institutions in the development of Islamic banking
- clear misconceptions about Islamic Finance
- understand the prohibition and their sources
- understand the challenges with Islamic Finance
- see the opportunities in Islamic Finance
- learn the basic products in Islamic Finance
- understand the difference between contemporary alternative ethical systems and the Islamic ethical system
- know the implications of the various basic principles of Islamic business ethics on Islamic financial institutions (IFIs)
- understand the objectives of the Shariah and Maslahah in Islamic Banking and Finance
- understand the concepts of social responsibility in Islamic finance
- understand the concepts of ownership and redistribution of wealth
- understand the concept of asset-backed finance
- know the similarities and differences between Islamic finance and sustainable, responsible and impact investing
- know the objectives of Shariah law (Maqasid al Shariah) in relation to Islamic finance
- know the basic Shariah principles as they apply to commercial transactions
- know the major sector-building initiatives and their respective roles in the development of Islamic banking and finance
Suitable for a wide audience – from new entrants wishing to start a career in Islamic banking and finance to those wishing to further their studies and research related to this field. It is ideal for Capital Market Operators, Portfolio Managers/Investment Analysts, Fund Managers, Risk Officers/Managers, Compliance Officers/Managers, Finance Officers/Managers, Private Bankers/Wealth Managers, Operations Officers/Managers and Regulators who need to demonstrate competence through the achievement of a benchmark qualification and develop expertise in a fast-growing world of Islamic banking and finance.